Andrew McKay

Default Another toolkit question

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:35:48 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

As some of you may be aware, I'm seriously considering "going solo" and
setting up as a jobbing electrician.

Could I be the first to wish you good luck?

Just one thing - do you have an electricians background in terms of
apprenticeship? I did my 16th edition certification a short time ago,
but although I'm a well qualified electronics engineer I'd not be able
to describe myself as an electrician.

I was informed by some of the sparkies on the C&G2381 course that next
year the government are introducing a corgi-type requirement for
sparkies, and you can't get that certification unless you've served
the time and done the courses.

Ignore the budget for now, but toolwise, and ignoring the obvious like
screwdrivers and test meters, what would you consider to be the
*essentials* for an electrician?

Test equipment - RCD tester, earth leakage tester and a couple of
others. That costs 500 pounds upwards.

When you carry out electrical work you are supposed to issue a
certificate, even for minor changes. And you can only certificate
something if you've tested it. And I expect next year the certificates
will have to be issued by someone who is the equivalent of corgi
registered.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk