Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.misc
Adrian Godwin Adrian Godwin is offline

Default CFL voltage rating

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Have you checked the ballast rating? I bought some electronic
ballasts for a kitchen lighting project a while back. Some of
them were rated something like 95-277V input.

If you are underrunning the tube and the ballast wasn't
designed to do this, you will shorten the tube life.
It's difficult to predict how a ballast will behave when
operating outside its design rating.

It's a Philex spiral "Eco" CF lamp with an integrated ballast, rated
at 18W, 220-240V. I don't much care if the tube life is reduced, but
I'm not sure what the ballast consists of and if it's running twice
the current to provide 18W at 110V I guess something might get hot.

-adrian