Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Wiring - 2 radials into 1 MCB, amongst other things...

"RichardS" OREPLY wrote
in message ...

Greetings all - returning to uk.d-i-y after a couple of years absence
(mostly due to work. grrr.) Glad to see many familiar contributors
still around.

Current project - kitchen extension and complete refit. Have a builder
doing this (I'd love to do it but just no time) & electrician to do the
electrics/certification (construction being done under Building Notice
application, so no chance of any Pee avoidance. I'd want a regs
compliant installation in any event).

One part of the work is to run SWA down the garden (about 15m) and
connect up the shed. Shed has small garage CU in it, with 30mA RCD, 6A
lighting ciruit MCB and 20A socket circuit MCB. 5 double sockets on the
latter and about 8 metres of 2.5mm^2 t&e in total.

Now, I'm pretty sure that I have read here before from the 'lectrical
cognoscenti that 2 radials into one MCB was unusual, but permissable.
Of course I can't find the post now... Due to the layout of the shed
workspaces & with thoughts of economy of installation, I'd prefer to
install 2 radial circuits rather than one ring, so this is how I wired
it.

Quick discussion with electrician today revealed he had a different take
on it, and that he didn't think that such an arrangement could be
compliant.

Ask him how it would be different to running 20 cm of cable to a junction
box and splitting it into two?