Posted to alt.home.repair
DonC DonC is offline

Default ? Whole-House fans for flat roof house?

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 6, 9:18 pm, " wrote:
On Oct 6, 4:15 pm, "DonC" wrote:

Hi all,

In every house I've owned, until now, I've installed a whole-house fan.
They significantly reduce AC costs and make for comfortable living.
Alas,
that was while I lived in Michigan in houses that had attics. My
typical
unit included a twist timer and variable speed motor.

Now we live in southeastern AZ in a condo with a flat built-up roof so
typical attic unit won't work. But we still have frequent cool nights
that
would we could benefit from.

Anybody here have any experience with WH fans in a similar setting? My
research so far has been disappointing -- no variable speed fans and
fewer
available units : (

Thanks

Condo board is going to have a lot to say about cutting holes and
adding electric loads, I should think.
Check the rules first.

That's what I was thinking too. I'd check around first with any
neighbors and see what you can find out regarding anything similar
that has been done and how it got approved. Unless this has been
done before, you may find that you are going to have a tough time
convincing a condo board to OK cutting big holes in a flat roof for a
fan.

Condo has no control re what I do with my roof. They're limited to control
of exterior architecture, exterior paint colors and landscaping. THANK GOD!
We have no condo Nazis here : )