Posted to alt.home.repair
DonC DonC is offline

Default ? Whole-House fans for flat roof house?

"xPosTech" wrote in message
On 10/6/2007 3:15 PM, DonC wrote:
Hi all,

In every house I've owned, until now, I've installed a whole-house fan.
They significantly reduce AC costs and make for comfortable living.
Alas, that was while I lived in Michigan in houses that had attics. My
typical unit included a twist timer and variable speed motor.

Now we live in southeastern AZ in a condo with a flat built-up roof so a
typical attic unit won't work. But we still have frequent cool nights
that would we could benefit from.

Anybody here have any experience with WH fans in a similar setting? My
research so far has been disappointing -- no variable speed fans and
fewer available units : (

Thanks

Over here when I was a kid we had a whole house fan in a window. It's
just a small attic unit mounted vertically. They don't have to be
centrally located, just on the other side of the house. Open the window
the fan is in and open enough others to form a draft (something my grandma
tried to stay out of).

At night, we only opened bedroom windows. I still can't sleep with a fan
blowing on me. :-)
--
Ted

A typical WH fan is 24" to 36" square and move 3200 to 7000 CFM.

Link to WH fans: http://tinyurl.com/28cn5f