Posted to alt.home.repair
DonC DonC is offline

Default ? Whole-House fans for flat roof house?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"DonC" wrote in message

There's 2x12s so I guess that's 11 1/2" +/-. I'm not sure a typical
ventilator pulls enough CFM. A typical WH fan is rated 3000 to 4000 CFM.

An example of the economies of a WH fan using Atlanta as an example (The
savings would be much greater here -- south of Tucson):

There may be space between the ceiling and the roof. In my last house, it
was pitched from about 3 feet+ at the front to 1 foot + at the back. If
yours is like that, you can vent the fan into the space by adding enough
venting to it. Worth checking out.

Nice thought but there is only the width of a 2x12 : ( IIRC the fans
require at least 2 clear feet above the fan blades. The fans I previously
installed had 4 to 8+ feet thanks to the pitched roofs.