Posted to rec.autos.tech,misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Jeff Dittmar Jeff Dittmar is offline

Default Did Rain-x ruin my windshield or is it normal (how to make it better)?

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:34:49 -0500, dpb wrote:

I don't know what it is made of, but it smells like burnt alcohol ...

Ingredient Name BENZENEMETHANAMINIUM,
N-[2-[(2,6-DIMETHYLPHENYL)AMINO]-2-OXOETHYL]-N,N-DIETHYL-, BENZOATE (1%)

There are lots of rain-x products out there so I assume you're talking
about the de-icer when you mention this chemical as that chemical doesn't
appear to be in the rain-x anti-fog or rain-slick treatment.

The rain-x de-icer & pesticide msds sheet is here
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/m...8/wcd00802.htm

The Benzenemethanaminium in the rain-x de-icer & pesticide is
http://sci-toys.com/scichem/jqp028/55211.html

Synonyms for the Benzenemethanaminium (C12H26O3S) rain-x pesticide are
* N-(C12-C16-alkyl)-N,N-dimethyl-, 1-dodecanesulfonate
* Dodecanesulfonic acid
* Dodecane-1-sulphonic acid
* Dodecylsulfonic acid
* Dodecanesulfonate
* Dodecylsulfonate
* (Z)-N,N-Dimethyl-N-9-octadecenylbenzenemethanaminium chloride
* Ammonyx KP
* Benzenemethanaminium, N,N-dimethyl-N-(9Z)-9-octadecenyl-, chloride
* Benzenemethanaminium, N,N-dimethyl-N-9-octadecenyl-, chloride
* Benzenemethanaminium, N,N-dimethyl-N-9-octadecenyl-, chloride, (Z)-
* Benzyldimethyloleylammonium chloride
* Benzyloleyldimethylammonium chloride
* Cycloton 7LUF
* N,N-Dimethyl-N-9-octadecenylbenzenemethanaminium chloride
* N-Oleyl-N,N-dimethylbenzylammonium chloride
* Olealkonium chloride
* Oleyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride
* Rhodaquat 7LUF
* Tret-O-Lite XC 503

So, any one of these may be listed on the package.

Being a sulfonic acid, I would hazard a guess rain-x de-icer works by polar
attraction (but I might easily be wrong). I do not know how the rain-x
pesticide would work though. Maybe you do?