Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default How does one fill a large void in a window sill?

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
ps.com...

So, don't worry about filling the gap with pieces that
match the gap, but that match one of the existing bits (Sil or
whatever), then, putty/seal the remaining cap.

THere's a product called Water Putty - forget - but it comes in a red
and whilte (and maybe a little yellow) cardboard "can." You mix it
with water and you get ROCK HARD (water) PUTTY. It does shrink some -
but it does dry hard and faxt. It is "sand able" and (relatively)
cheap. http://www.waterputty.com/ "will withstand
weather if kept painted" "Durham's is meant to fill voids"

Did your windowmoron install flashing to redirect the water at the top to
the ground rather than the gap?

If not, that's your first order of business. Under the siding or whatever
forms the skin of the house, then at a slant past the gap and window top.
Commercial products are available.

If the windows are secure in their openings, I'd hit the gaps elsewhere with
the low-expansion poly foam aerosols, trim, and caulk with latex. The
Durham's isn't flexible enough, though a wonderful product I've used for
years in woodworking.