Posted to rec.woodworking
ETaylor ETaylor is offline

Default Glue suggestions for vines to pine.

dadiOH wrote:
ETaylor wrote:
I made a little toy house with pine lining boards that I have
shellaced to give a warm colour. I was gluing some dried out vines
(3-4mm dia) around the edges of the building but the water based
contact adhesive I used leaked onto the shellaced pine and left a
nasty dark coloured ridge around the sides of the vine.
Any suggestions what glue I could use to glue the vine to the pine
without it reacting with the shellac.

I think I'd use straight pins to hold all the vines I want in
place...as few pins as needed, just pushed thru the vine into the
pine. Once that was done I'd use white glue everywhere there was a
pin...just a little, preferably at the top of the vine. When dry,
remove pins. You could use Super Glue too but it would wick into the
vine and darken a small portion of it.

Thanks for the pins tip, that sounds just the thing.
I was using small clamps but when they slip I got the glue residue lines.
I want to stain the vines so I'll do some tests with a few different
glues now I know I can hold the vines in the one position.
Very much appreciated, I would never have thought of it myself.
Ed.