N. Thornton

Default Upgrade to a three phase domestic supply?

"Pandora" wrote in message t...

It's Sunday evening. Mum's doing the washing/drying/ironing, Dad's cooking
lunch and four teenage children are showering/doing homework/watching TV.
(Putting aside the debate about stereotypical representations) I think that
this family could draw the following loads simultaneously:

That's a total 124.5 amps. OK, we can argue that their approach to energy
efficiency could be improved. In terms of rating a supply, however, a single
phase 100A supply seems inadequate.

How do my load estimations look?

You seem to think that people have at least 4 hands each and do in
fact do 2 3 or 4 things at once. Others have commented on diversity.

12.5A (Washing machine)
14.5A (Tumble dryer)

1kW is more likely.

6A (Iron)

2-4A

1.5A (Fridge)

not many eating 360w nowadays.

3A (Freezer)

try 65-150w

12A (Dishwasher)
10A (Cooker (electric))

may be much higher

6A (Microwave oven)
8A (Electric kettle)

more likely 12 or 13A

2A (Hi-Fi Stereo, surround sound system.)

try 20-50w

2A (2 x Computer)

may be higher

1A (2 x 17" monitor)
6A (Hair dryer)

thats more like a paint melting gun

0.5A (TV)
1A (Computer)
0.5A (17" monitor)

2A (Shower pump)

500w?? no, closer to a tenth that

2A (Extractor fan)

more ike 20 or 30w than 500

12.5A (Immersion or water heater)

3.5A (Central heating pump)

divide that by 10. When the house is eating 100A theres no way the CH
will be on

3A (Fan Heater 1/3hp)

as well as cookers and all the other loads? 240v 100A is already 24kW.

10A (Lighting)
5A (Sundry electrical loads)

IRL you'd cook before exceeding a 100A house supply. Lots of places
still run happily on 40A supplies.

Regards, NT