Posted to alt.home.repair
m j d m j d is offline

Default Want to avoid Saddle Valve for Ice Maker

A Y connector is available, it installs onto the supply valve and you
hook-up both icemaker and faucet supply lines to it. Should be available at
HD or Lowes.

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm installing a refrigerator with a water tap and an ice maker. I
want the safest water supply to the refrigerator I can get. I think
Saddle Valves are crappy and unreliable.

I have a 20 foot steel braided water line with 1/4" female compression
fittings at both ends. I'm comfortable with the quality of this
line. I will be tapping into a 1/2" copper water line for the water
source. However, all the kits I see use a saddle valve to tap into
the line. I'm not comfortable with the quality of that type of
connection. I'd like to tee off the 1/2" water line with copper (i.e.
1/2x1/2x1/4 tee) and then have a male threaded fitting on the 1/4" leg
of the tee for connection to the braided supply line. Or,
alternatively, I'd like to find a 3-way water supply valve that has
slip-slip connections for the 1/2" copper water line (for soldering)
and 1/4" compression connection for the ice maker line. My problem
is, I can't seem to find any of the fittings I would need anywhere!!

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I might find the parts
I'm looking for or for some other way to connect the ice maker line
that's more robust than a saddle valve?

Thanks,