Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Two Prong Wiring In A Three Prong World

On Oct 6, 3:31 pm, "abby" wrote:
Hi,

My daughter rented an apartment in an older two
family house.
The receptacles are all two prong except two.
What is the safest
way to use three prong appliances with this
wiring?

The bathroom, believe it or not, does not have a
outlet!
How difficult (egg, expensive) would it be to add
a GFI outlet?

Thanks,
Gary

Standard answer applies he

Do not do any electrical work in a building you don't own. I'm not a
lawyer, I don't even play one on the web, but odds are you would be
liable for any damage, both structural and personal, that occurs
because of electrical work you do on someone else's property.

Gather your info, such as a reference that says it's OK to replace a 2
prong-ungrounded receptacle with an ungrounded GFCI, and take it to
the landlord. (S)He or his/her representative is the only one who be
doing electrical work on his/her property.

BTW - What type of appliances are you referring to? Some appliances
should not be plugged into GFCI receptacles. How is the fridge
connected now?