Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Two Prong Wiring In A Three Prong World

On Oct 6, 4:32 pm, Tom Horne wrote:
abby wrote:
Hi,

My daughter rented an apartment in an older two family house.
The receptacles are all two prong except two. What is the safest
way to use three prong appliances with this wiring?

The bathroom, believe it or not, does not have a outlet!
How difficult (egg, expensive) would it be to add a GFI outlet?

Thanks,
Gary

It is neither difficult or expensive. Turn off the circuit breaker or
remove the fuse that serves that outlet. Remove the old receptacle and
replace it with a GFCI receptacle. Do not use the load terminals on the
new GFCI receptacle. Restore power and you are done.

If you want to add a GFCI receptacle outlet to a spot were there is no
outlet box now that question cannot be answered without knowing more
about the house. Is there a receptacle outlet on the other side of the
wall from your desired location?
--
Tom Horne

From a code standpoint, you can't just simply add a back-to-back GFCI

outlet in a bath. It needs to be on a dedicated 20A circuit (or it
can be shared with another bath, for outlets only). As a landlord
myself, I always appreciate someone consulting me first before they do
(or even plan) any electrical work on my buildings.

JK