Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default How does one fill a large void in a window sill?

Steve wrote:
Hello. The windows in my Mom's house were just replaced. Apparently
they had to move the windows about 1/4" forward from where the
previous windows were (according to the person who installed it, this
was necessary to get a good seal so air couldn't get it - apparently
the previous windows had not been installed correctly and didn't have
a good seal) so on each window there's now about 0.25" space on the
window sill (between the sill and the window).

I asked the window person what to do about the void. He said to fill
it with a piece of wood so I'm attempting to do that. The other
alternative I guess is to use wood putty or bondo to fill in the void.

I measured the void on one window to see what size of wood I would
need. Upon doing so, I found out the distance between the window and
edge of the sill (the depth measurement) varies significantly as you
go from one end of the window to the other so that one piece of wood
with the same cross-sectional area would not fit well.

Solving this is a head scratcher for me. The space seems too big to
fill it all with wood putty or bondo (the size of the void on each
window is roughly 35" wide, 1" high, and 0.25" deep so it would be a
lot of wood putty or bondo).

I'm guessing the thing to do is fill each void with several pieces of
wood, each piece having a different depth (since the depth of the
void changes as you go from one end of the window to the other) and
glue them in somehow (or nail them in with small nails and top it off
with wood putty) and then fill around those pieces of wood with wood
putty or bondo. And somehow make all this look like a continuation of
the existing window sill after the sill and void are painted.

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to solve this problem. I'd also
appreciate responses from people who have used a lot of wood putty
(or bondo or whatever) to fill a large void like what I have and how
it worked out.

Thanks!

What are the new windows made of? uPVC/ Aluminium! Seems to me that this
was an unprofessional job, though I speak from the other side of The
Pond, so contract conditions could be different. If the frames are
timber, do you have enough space to put what we call quadrant beading
between the cill and the window frame? I guess you should have.

HTH