Posted to rec.woodworking
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default roof truss repair question

Hi I am repairing some stained ceiling sheetrock in my garage, and after
removing some sections of it I realized there is more damage.

First the leak in the roof has been found and repair, so there should be no
more water penetration.

Now I can see the water leak has been there for a long time as the end of
the truss were severly damaged. The end of the joist and rafter meet and
they rest on the concrete block wall as shown below:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...aragetruss.jpg

Now there is a truss every 24" or so but one of them directly below the leak
is damaged very badly. If you look at the image attached, the section
labeled "C" in green when I pushed it just crumbled. Now the good news is
that the roof is still up and it has been like this for years this truss has
not been supporting it's share of the load for a long time now. The ends
where it is rotted away is about 12" or so in length.

I went up to the attic and tried to see if it's possible to remove "A" and
"B" completely and put new lumbers in but this is going to be near
impossible with all the AC duct work running across, electric conduits
nailed along it, ceiling hi hats and fans etc...and very tight space.

So what I plan to do is to get two 12' 2x4s. I plan to put one adjacent to
the rafter and one adjacent to the joist for almost the entire length. The
question is now should I attach the two?

Should I drill a hole every 18" or so and insert large (1/2") bolts through
both and tie them together?

Or should I use some sort of structural glue/epocy to glue both together?

Or should I use those galvanized steel tie/straps to nail them together?

Or all of the above?

I also plan to insert some vertical wood members between the new sister
rafter and joist.

Or this is all wrong?

Thanks in advance,

MC