Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default How does one fill a large void in a window sill?

"Dean H." message

The reality is that if the window is farther out of the building than
before, there's really no way it's a tighter fit than the window that was
replaced. In other words, a tighter fit or better seal against the

building
would result in the installer needing to trim something off the sill, not
add to it. The whole thing sounds fishy to me. The company should be
reported, IMHO.

IMO, in order for you to say that was indeed the case, you would have to
know with certainty what kind of window was put in.

It is not unusual, for instance, for a modern vinyl window to be thinner
behind the nailing fin than an old window, thereby possibly leaving a gap
between the new window and the old sill when installed, as the OP reported.

In addition, the age of the house could be a factor. Thicker because framing
lumber was a different dimension, 2 x 6 exterior walls instead of 2 x 4,
etc.

That said, the "seal against the building" does seem to be a peculiar
remark, although not impossible ... it would certainly make me want to ask
some questions as well as take a close look at things like flashing and
caulking with a practiced eye.

Unfortunately, as I builder, I rarely see a window company around here
include redoing sills in the price of new windows unless it is specified in
the contract at extra cost. That may just be a regional thing, however,
since this is hurricane country and there are a lot of windows replaced,
that could explain the practice, or lack thereof.

Replacing/redoing sills, means a trim carpenter, AND a painter, perhaps
having to match paint, in many cases.

AAMOF, when called two weeks ago about a similar issue, I sent my trim
carpenter and painter, as a courtesy, to a house completed two years ago to
touchup the sills and casing on two new "sound proof" windows that the
homeowner, being a light sleeper, replaced in the bedroom to keep out
exterior noises.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07