Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Where to get cheap fasteners??

On Oct 5, 11:23 am, Bill wrote:
I'm looking to stock up on some essentials in my shop, namely bolts, nuts,
washers and lock washers. Can anyone recommend where to go to get these in
bulk?? I can't see buying them in the small packs at the local stores and
Mcmaster seems pricey. I can get some of the stuff by the pound at the
local TSC (Tractor supply center) but nothing small and I'd like a couple
of pounds of stuff in the 10-24 range. Any suggestions where to get
fastners cheap in 1 lb quantities?

Bill

The local True Value sells boxes of 100 in about any size from 6-32 on
up. If I need something smaller, I have to go down the road about 5
miles to the Ace, where they've got more choice in head types and
funny threads. Usually prices are in the $4-5 range per 100 for the
smaller stuff. They also sell onesies for about twice the per 100
rate. Doing my best to keep them in business single-handed.

MSC also sells 100s, you may have to order a bunch because of the
shipping, though. At least True Value is open on Sunday afternoons...

I used to frequent electronic surplus joints where they'd sell mixed
hardware by the pound. I quit doing that because of the time spent
sorting, I could buy brand new hardware by the 100s and still feel
well-paid considering the time it took to sort 5s from 6s from various
metrics.

Stan