Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default Any locksmiths hereabouts? How to impress a padlock. Help please

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 08:58:20 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

snip

It takes a while, and the impressions can sometimes be a bit of a
puzzle to figure out ( is it a slot, or a groove? ), but the job
satisfaction quota is brilliant.
If you succeed...get a spare cut straightaway!

Many thanks,
good info which makes sense & I'm a patient soul

Surely the bits of the lock that need moving to unlock it will also
leave impressions on the black wax. If you file away where any mark is
made I can see you ending up with a key that turns in the lock but
fails to operate it ! Presumably you need to be able to differentiate
between the two cases - maybe firmness of impression or some such ?

Largely down to feel...
If the blade inserted and turned carefully you should be able to feel
whether any obstacle is immovable or not. The use of wax, rather than
soot, can help to distinguish such obstacles - and determine whether
the mark should be cut out or around.
You'd soon find out anyway, and there's usually enough leeway in the
mechanism to forgive any small errors - though a drop of soft solder
can be used to repair larger mistakes ( silver solder is better, if
you have the kit ).

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk