Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AEG washing macine - drum bearing change

Part timer wrote:
On 2 Oct, 11:04, wrote:

Sounds like you've had an easy ride. On mine I had to make a
press to extract the rear bearings, and there was simply no tool
that could get the front ones out, thanks to the wacky design.
The only option was to die grind through the entire bearing races
with a die grinder, which took ages. Putting it back wasnt so hard
though.

NT

Almost there now! The 50/50 outer tub has 17 awkward screws back in
and is back on the suspension mounts. Got the new bearings in with
blood (a tool slipped :-( ), sweat and tears, after bagging them up
and getting them to contract in the deep freeze. The drum feels a bit
stiff and "rubbery" with the new rubber seal in (but I'm pretty sure
it's in right). I went round the electrical stores this afternoon
giving a couple of display machines a spin by hand and they felt more
willing to spin. I'm wondering if they spin the drums up to speed on a
test rig in the factory (no water involved) which loosens them up? I
just need to put the motor back in, attach the belt, cable tie the
wiring loom back out of the way, sort the door seal join with the
front panel, put other panels back on and double check my work.

Drum should spin freely, while the belt is off.

NT