Ian Stirling

Default Made map holder today from LEXAN! What a material!

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

SP wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:15:23 -0400, the renowned "Michael Tracy"
wrote:

Polycarbonate is supposed to only deform, not fracture.

Ever try to break one of those ubiquitous AOL CD's? CDs are all polycarb -
the snap is loud and the energy released is quite impressive for such thin
material.

Michael

The shards can go quite a way. I put them in a plastic bag to snap
CDRs before throwing them out (like shredding documents).

It's probably possible to recover most data from a snapped CD.
It will be very hard work, but feasible if it's worth enough.
Like shredding documents.

I doubt it - as the layer is foil like and lots of it is lost.
Sure - plenty of 'sectors' there - if one can spin it somehow or have
a sitting machine that looks down and frames itself somehow.

I was assuming a scanning machine of some design.
From what I've seen, I think a usable copy of the data may exist
on the layer that's left behind after the foil peels off in some cases.
The foil layer is immediately over the dye, that's coated onto the
CD.