Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross Gerald Ross is offline

Default OT Beginner questions buffing.

ABC wrote:
I hope I have come to the right NG as I saw many threads about buffing
here. I just want to learn to buff small metal articles like stainless
steel watch bands, spoons etc. I bought a 1/6 hp motor with flex
shaft, white and green rouge, and some small buffing wheels. These are
my problems so far:

1: Do I need to change the "angle of attack", or just always apply the
wheel to the work piece in one same direction? It seems that once I
change the angle, the lust disappears somewhat.

2. For the finer buffing , I used a cloth wheel(just sewn once near
the middle). One the wheel revs up, the cloth thread begins to fly
out( because of the anti centrifugal force ) so there is lint all over
the place and the wheel gets smaller and smaller. Even worse when I
apply the wheel to the rouge. Is the normal for this kind of wheels?
Should I just tolerate the lint?

3. It seems that the finer the rouge, the slower RPM should be used?
Correct?

Any help appreciated

ABC

I use a soft felt buffing wheel on a shaft for fine buffing. The
wheels should be marked and kept in a separate zip bag to prevent
contamination with a rougher compound. After using one compound, wash
the piece well with detergent and a soft brush to remove residual
compound before starting with a finer compound.

I never saw green rouge. Are you sure this is not chromium oxide or
some other fast cutting compound?

The faster the speed, the faster the cut, and more heat generated.

You might get better answers on a jewelry making or metal working
newsgroup as this is mainly for wood turning. Buffing wood is a little
different from buffing metal.

Good luck.

--
Gerald Ross