Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default Drawer disaster!!

wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, I need advise, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW, here's the rub! ALL 6 OF THE DRAWER FRONTS CUPPED!!! That is,
the center of the cherry panels is in good contact with the drawers,
but the top and bottoms cup away from the drawer by 1/16" (approx.) on
both the top & bottom!! I suspect what happened is the moisture in
the glue (Titebond II) caused the wood to expand in that local area,
causing the warp AND when the glue dried, it was permanent. I tried
tightening the screws on the periphery, but that really isn't working.

I think I'd try taking the screws out and letting the drawers sit for a
couple weeks to see what happens... then, failing a "self correction" I'd
flatten the faces with hand planes and flatten the proud back edges of the
front panel with either a shoulder plane or chisel.

John