Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Drawer disaster!!

wrote

Thanks in advance for ANY ideas, I'm about willing to try anything -
I've got about $75 tied up in just the cherry panels and would HATE to
have to redo them!!!

Not being able to see what they look like, it is almost impossible to advise
you on ALL your options.

That said, and from just reading your post, your best bet appears, as you
seem to be inclined, is to somehow remove the drawer fronts, then evaluate
the situation and go from there.

If efforts to soften the glue fail (and that will most likely happen because
of the time elapsed and thickness of the material) removing the drawer
fronts _with a good "resaw" bandsaw_ is doable.

Remove the screws, set the boxes on a 1/4" spacer, with the drawer front
against a bandsaw fence, and 'resaw' the fronts off the drawer boxes.

I've done similar separations using the bandsaw, so I know that it can be
done with a good bandsaw and an experienced operator.

You will lose a bit more than 1/2 the bandsaw blade kerf thickness from
each piece, but that is a small price to pay.

This is not a difficult task to accomplish.

In the future, NEVER, EVER glue an overlay drawer to a drawer box ...
"screws only" for obvious reasons ... wood movement and alignment issues
that WILL arise there from in the future.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07