Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Should Recalls Cause A Company's Demise?

On Oct 6, 8:24 am, Bill Schwab wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
Today it is beef....tomorrow toys...the next day...well something
else...fasteners, tires, tools?

It would seem that lack of quality control has just cost this company
its existence and its employees their livelihoods.

Should a company be responsible for its own quality control or is it a
responsibility of government to protect us?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks

TMT

Any business is like a barn with nothing but doors instead of walls. It's
hard to make sure they are all closed. Yes, quality needs to be primary and
take full focus. But, something can ALWAYS go wrong, even with the best
efforts of management. It just happens! I KNOW this first hand. Maybe
there should be an insurance available to prevent the demise of a company.

But who will pay for it? Given a choice between buying from Beef-Cheep
and their demise-insured competition (which is VERY expensive to pay for
the insurance), most consumers will opt for Beef-Cheep.

There is another way. We already have businesses that are immune to the
financial consequences of mismanagement. In fact, these businesses
actually get bigger every time something goes wrong; they grow even
faster when it is clear that they caused any particular problem.
Customers make up the difference, because the business has subsidiaries
that do things like: eliminate competition; mandate the use of the
business' products; set prices for the products; collect data on
customers; use said data to threaten, coerce and punish customers who do
not use the business' products.

These businesses are of course known as governments.

It can really suck to work for a company that gets clobbered by what
might be a random screw-up. However, bankruptcy is not all bad. It is
a mechanism that allows a free market to heal itself. Buildings,
equipment and intellectual property have value, and get sold to settle
debts. Sometimes all that really happens is that poor management gets
squeezed out to make room for those who end up doing a better job.
Individuals often get hurt, but IMHO, freedom is a good thing. We
should try it.

Bill- Hide quoted text -

It can really suck to work for a company that gets clobbered by what
might be a random screw-up.

Sorry but I do not believe a moment that this was a "random screw-up".

This company spent a year making hamburger mixed with sh*t and sold it
to consumers and restrurants.

Some of the buyers were likely nationally recognized hamburger chains.

We all likely ate some of it.

Hmm..hmm...good.

TMT