Posted to alt.home.repair
nobody nobody is offline

Default Plumbing: Toilet does not flush, but drains are not clogged.

Aaron wrote:

Update: I reset the toilet again. After first placing the toilet
dumped a bowl of water in it and it flushed properly. I then
proceeded to put the nuts on the bolts and tighten it down. The
toilet now slowly drains, after dumping a bowl of water in it, but
does not flush. Any ideas. Could it be when I tightened the toilet
it made the wax ring interfere with the drain?

Three things to watch for:

1. misalignment of the wax seal when seating the bowl.

I clean the floor flange and surrounding floor until it very clean. I
do the same with the "horn" sewage exhaust port under the toilet. I
tilt the toilet 90 degrees and push the wax ring on the horn until it
sticks firmly. Then I lift the toilet and align and seat it in one
motion.

2. clogged vent pipes

The sewer lines will have vent pipes that go all the way thru the roof
and vent pressure. If these lines have pine straw or leaves in them,
it can cause the water to drain slowly. In this case, I get on the
roof and run a rotary cutter thru the vent pipes.

3. clogs in the toilet itself.

A child can flush the lid off a tin can and the lid can get caught in
the internal toilet passage. The tin can lid can pivot and block the
passage one minute, the next minute it can pivot again and allow
sewage to pass. A snake can pass right by it.

The last slow toilet I encountered, someone had flushed Q-tips down
the toilet. When exiting the toilet into the sewer line, those
Q-tips that were mostly oriented straight up-and-down would pass
smoothly. The Q-tips that were oriented sideways were wider than the
horn exhaust port, so some of them had caught and would not pass. In
this example, three or four had hung up and created enough drag to
stop the flushing action.

Good luck, please post what you find.......