Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default attic insulation question

On Oct 5, 6:35 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message

Somewhat unusual not to have any attic ventilation. You are correct,
just insulate the floor.

no vents is not normal, but unless there is mold on the attic ceiling
that was its design, it worked. Only the floor should be insulated ,
and at maybe R 40-50, but then you must get sufficient venting to keep
the attic temp near to outside temp or condensation, mold and rot
happen quickly.

There is no mold or mustiness. The attic spaces are all dry. If
(emphasis on If) the attic is presently functioning with even flow of
moisture/air and heat/cold...and I put insulation on the floor, I can
see how that would change the "balance" since air wouldn't be rising
through it. Is it possible it would reach a different equilibrium...just
base on changed circumstances? Am I making any sense?

Unless there is clearly already a vapor barrier, be sure to install one or use
insulation with one. The vapor barrier goes between the heated area and the
insulation. This will at least decrease the moisture getting into the attic to
cause problems. Venting should still be done ASAP.

Bob- Hide quoted text -

BTW in certain instances the use of ' certain oil' based (non-latex)
paint on 'interior' surfaces will act somewhat as a non permeable
vapour barrier.
A certain house here that the owner couldn't keep paint on.
Problem, outside husband was painting with non breathable (non-
permeable) marine paint. Inside wife was painting with latex paint
(easy to clean up with water etc.) No vapor barrier on warm side of
the walls and ceiling, lots of cooking etc. moisture trapped in walls,
outside paint blistering. The owner never did figure it out.
Eventually put vinyl siding on and now has some rot problems inside
his walls!