Posted to rec.woodworking
DJM DJM is offline

Default Drawer disaster!!

On Oct 6, 7:53 am, "Tim W" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com... OK, I need advise, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm building a chest of drawers for my new granddaughter [...]

ALL 6 OF THE DRAWER FRONTS CUPPED!!! [...]

How frustrating. I don't think the glue will have caused the cupping. It
sounds like the timber is drying and shrinking and unevenly eg more rapidly
on the exposed outside face than the glued inside face.

My best advise is to remove the screws, put the piece somewhere indoors, not
a cold garage but similar to where it will end up and just wait and see what
happens. The solid fronts will hopefully either fall off or straighten
themselves out because they are unlikely to stay as they are. It may take a
few weeks.

tim W

The wood has air dried for approx 7 years. After roughing the panels
out, I let them stabilize for about 2 weeks before final planing and
gluing. However, I'm willing to try anything, so I'll yank the screws
out & see what happens. The drawers are in my shop, which has a
dehumidifier set to approx. 40% humidity. That's the environment
these panels have been in for the past month - even before I started
working the wood.

Thanks for the tip - I'm doubtful, but I really hope it works!

Dennis