Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dodgy floor between kitchen and extension

stevelup wrote:
On Oct 5, 8:04 am, Lobster wrote:
stevelup wrote:

I am in the process of laying a wooden floor in one continuous run
through the old and new space created by the said extension. The gap
between the old and new had been filled with some kind of levelling
compound which was both cracked and far from level so I decided to rip
it up and start again. What I found was a little concerning.
The cavity is full of rubble and sand and there is no membrane that I
can see. I've linked to some photos below and would appreciate advice
on how I should proceed.

I've come across just the same thing in the past myself, and eventually
ended up leaving it as it was (as there hadn't been a damp problem
previously). I really don't know what the 'proper' answer is other than
carrying out some fairly major surgery on the bricks below floor level,
the floors either side of them, and the walls either side, in order to
get all the relevant DPC membranes overlapped and sealed.

Would love to know what the solution is!

David

I'll just pour concrete in the hole then... really don't know what
else to do.

line the hole with plastic sheet at least, first.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve