Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default garage doors repairs and replacement

nospam wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 18:14:06 +0100, (A.Lee) wrote:

The ones I've dealt with had a drilled hole through one end of the
spring shaft, through which you insert a suitable rod, when the door is
closed, to keep the tension on the spring.

Thanks. A few replies have talked about working on it once the door is
closed. The problem we have is that the door always breaks when we try
to shut it, so it is stuck in the open position. The canopy is then in
the way of the spring, so I think I need to find some way to safely
close the door sot hat I can get access to the spring to work on it.

Ah yes, the memories come flooding back. You need a mate on the outside,
and possibly a length of 2" x 1" timber to prise it into the opening as
it comes down.