Martin H. Eastburn

Default Is this "gold chain" fake?

Ignoramus27444 wrote:

In article , Murray Peterson wrote:

Ignoramus27444 wrote in
:

I received a "gold chain" as a birthday present, two months ago. Since
then, the chain has discolored in ways that made me suspect that it is
not real gold. It is stamped "14K Italy".

[snip]
Can this possibly be gold?

Certainly.
14 karat gold is quite susceptible to tarnishing -- it's less than 60%
gold, with the other 40% usually being copper.

Well, I have a 14k wedding ring, and id did not tarnish like that when
I wore it continuously. I do not wear it now because I lost weight and
the ring falls off.

In any case, I appreciate your opinion.

Right - but it is solid 14K like mine (in white gold).

Plated 14K can be very thin and if the body is acidic it can strip the copper and
the gold is dust by the leaching.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn