Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Grinding wheels for HSS

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

I tried grinding a 1/2 inch square
stellite toolbit and it was taking forever to reshape a used toolbit.

Where did you locate Stellite toolbits? The only ones I've found in

years
were on ebay. If you're not familiar with them, you're in for a

treat.
They perform at a level near that of carbide. Haynes Stellite is

tougher
at red heat than at room temp.

Which Stellite are you refering to here, Harold? I ask because I
snagged a bunch of Stellite #6 TIG rods. I have yet to try them for
lathe bits but that sounds like a deficiency I should correct. :-)
However, I have used them for some interesting apps. I'll list three:

snip-------

I'm not sure I know enough about Stellite cutting tools to answer that, Ted.
The only thing I know is that at one time I had a piece that was used as a
parting tool and I was shocked at the performance. This was MANY years
ago, when I was employed in a large shop, where I got my training. I
recall leaving the tool in a setup that was being run on both shifts and
never seeing it again, nor any other like it.

Only recently did I run across more Stellite in the way of cutting tools,
when I bid on, and was successful, on eBay. The only problem was that the
guy listing the short pieces, ends left after a custom tool had been made,
said they were longer by 1/2" than they were. The pieces I received are
still long enough to be used, but certainly not long enough to make a good
parting tool, which would have been one of my choices.

On the shanks that I received, which are 1/2" square and 2-7/16" long on the
average, all are marked "Haynes Stellite Alloy 98M2". Means nothing to
me, but apparently they had more than one alloy.

A point of interest. Included in the Stellite lot were a couple other
pieces, same size, remnants that had also been cut with a parting wheel on a
cutter grinder, both marked Vascoloy-Ramet Tantung G. Leads one to
believe that it shares similar, if not equal, qualities. I have yet to
use any of the toolbits for lack of need, so I can't report further.

Sorry to be so late getting back to this, Ted. I had apparently removed
the mark I had left on the thread and stumbled across your post strictly by
accident tonight when I was checking to see if I had missed anything.

Harold