Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where to get cheap fasteners??

On Oct 5, 10:04 pm, "ATP*" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

. 97.142...

I'm looking to stock up on some essentials in my shop, namely bolts, nuts,
washers and lock washers. Can anyone recommend where to go to get these
in
bulk?? I can't see buying them in the small packs at the local stores and
Mcmaster seems pricey. I can get some of the stuff by the pound at the
local TSC (Tractor supply center) but nothing small and I'd like a couple
of pounds of stuff in the 10-24 range. Any suggestions where to get
fastners cheap in 1 lb quantities?

Bill

If you're into auctions, you can usually get a whole wall of stuff fairly
reasonably- although you may end up taking more than you need, I've seen
thousands of dollars worth of fasteners go for 1-200 bucks or less,
including the bins/shelves.

I think the key phase is "If you're into auctions".

If you have already committed the time, money and travel to attend an
auction, then by all means join in the bottom feeding when the time
comes for the parts/material inventory is auctioned.

But if your objective is stock your shop in a reasonable time period
with a well rounded fastener inventory, attending auctions are likely
to be counterproductive.

Auctions can take ALOT OF TIME and considerable money to attend. If
you actually keep track of these costs, you will find that many
auctions are not worth attending.

A question for the group....what does it cost $$$ to attend the
average auction?

In my case, I would say at least a day of your time....say 8
hours....most are longer.

Travel distance...approx. 150 miles one way = 300 miles round trip = 6
hours travel time.

Okay...that is 14 hours of your time.

Now the cost of transportation...truck/trailer....how much a mile?
Suggestions?

Cost of a meal or two?

Now that is your base cost...before you bid anything.

Now most auctions are at a 10% buyers premium.

Rigging fees?

And let us not forget about sales tax...remember this is for a home
shop.

So...what would you say that we are at for a basic cost to the buyer
if he buys $1000 worth of merchandise?

So what would it cost you to do this auction?

TMT