Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kate Kate is offline

Default Celtic Box top...

Wow! Now SHE is an artist.
I just don't know what to say. I have always been envious of people with
that kind of talent.
It just befuddles me when I think of how they can do create things as
lifelike as the vegetables and as soft and pretty as the pastel of your
beautiful little girl.

AND to stay on topic.. I like the frame that you built *WEG*

Kate

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Kate" wrote

I imagine I could have started from scratch but sometimes I work better
with an inspiration piece and then go from there.

Part of a legitimate, time honored process.

My oldest sister, who is a real life artist (IOW, she indeed makes a living
at it), sculptress, and noted doll designer, often starts with an
"inspiration piece".

In the case of portraits, usually photographs, which she often insists on
taking herself, for the obvious "reality" inspiration.

In the case of still life's she'll occasionally do a piece "in the style of"
another artist, from which she draws inspiration.

She did the pastel below of my oldest daughter as a gift for me about ten
years ago. She used the pose in the photograph, which was taken at a much
earlier time, then had my daughter sit to capture her "age/appearance" a few
years later.

She also did the still life as a gift to me to hang in my kitchen "in the
style of" another noted artist.

Being from South Louisiana, and the ONLY cook in the family, I wanted "gumbo
vegetables", and she also made the shadow in the oil painting to appear as
if they came from the kitchen ceiling light, which is the right of the
painting.

And to stay on topic - I made the frame for "her" oil painting from some
left over crown molding I had laying around in the shop ... and she never
fails to ask at holiday time when I'm going to get the "real" frame.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07