Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default What kind of tape for this horror show?

on 10/5/2007 7:13 PM willshak said the following:
on 10/5/2007 6:29 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

on 10/5/2007 2:06 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

Just removed a wood frame window from its tracks so I could clean &
paint it, and found that the outside sill beneath the window is
rotted to the point where it's the consistency of blue cheese.
Before discovering this, I had plenty of time to prime & paint the
window and get it back in place. But, this rotted wood discovery
may delay things, so I'll have to cover the window area with
plastic, due to rain on the way in a couple or three days. I don't
get a good feeling about masking tape staying in place when wet.
Duct tape - gotta leave a sticky mess on the siding, and if I clean
off the goo, I'm guessing I'll then have to clean the whole side of
the house. Not an option.

What kind of tape might deal well with moisture for 3-4 days?

3M clear duct tape. I used it outside in the summer for weeks and it
didn't deteriorate like the grey stuff, and when taking it off, it
didn't leave that hard crap that had to be chiseled off. Some WD40
will remove the goo.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Where did you find that, Bill? Big box store?

Yes. I think that both HD and Lowes has it. I haven't checked in local
hardwares since my local closed last year, despite my shopping there
for 22 years..

http://www.3m.com/brands/scotch/transducttape/

--

Bill