Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default What kind of tape for this horror show?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 5 Oct, 14:06, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Just removed a wood frame window from its tracks so I could clean &
paint
it, and found that the outside sill beneath the window is rotted to the
point where it's the consistency of blue cheese. Before discovering
this, I
had plenty of time to prime & paint the window and get it back in
place.
But, this rotted wood discovery may delay things, so I'll have to cover
the
window area with plastic, due to rain on the way in a couple or three
days.
I don't get a good feeling about masking tape staying in place when
wet.
Duct tape - gotta leave a sticky mess on the siding, and if I clean off
the
goo, I'm guessing I'll then have to clean the whole side of the house.
Not
an option.

What kind of tape might deal well with moisture for 3-4 days?
My guess is that *any* type of tape is going to take the dirt off, and
I don't think duct tape will get gooey in such a short period of time,
so I'd opt for the duct tape. in other words, whatever you use may
leave behind some evidence, so you might as well just go for it.

On the other hand, do you really need to seal the window or just
protect it? I recently replaced a window in the rain, which included
painting, caulking etc. It was the last window of nine, and it would
have meant at least a 2 week delay before I could get back to the
project if I let the rain stop me.

I rigged up a tarp from an upper window and roof section and tied the
bottom off with ropes and tent pegs, making a slanted tent over the
first floor window. I left it up for 3 days until the sun finally came
back out, by which time the caulk and paint were dry enough to expose
to the elements. Wind would have been a problem, but I got lucky.

There are no eaves on this particular side of the house, so I really do
need to seal the window. The screen is still in place (it's a stupid
arrangement), so I wrapping that with plastic just to keep the room
warm/cool/whatever. But, any rain hitting that window opening will drain
under the screen and down the recently painted walls. Not good.

Then just nail a tarp or piece of plastic over it and be done with it.

--

Nail through my siding? I think not.

Edge of the window frame.