Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Fitzsimmons Mark Fitzsimmons is offline

Default Why does green wood dull tools faster than dry wood?

On Oct 2, 8:22 pm, "Greg Lyman" wrote:
Anyone have opinions about why green wood dulls gouges (M2, M4, and Kryo M2)
and band saw blades so fast relative to the same wood dry?

I turn a lot of walnut and maple and find the exact opposite: dry wood
always dulls tools faster, unless the bark is still on, and then I
suppose it's dirt in the bark.
Band saw blades are another matter, but the only time I have fast
dulling problems with bandsaws is with sapwood, and I'm not sure it's
dulling so much as clogging up the blade with sap. Maybe try cleaning
the tool edge when you think they're dulling quickly and see if it's
not just a tiny bit of buildup at the edge?