Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Leonhardt Bill Leonhardt is offline

Default Lathe mobile base

Bill... If you only need to move the lathe for cleaning, etc., I'd say skip the
mobile base..

I have the jet 1442VS with the cast iron legs and it's fairly heavy.
I might move it around every 2 months or so, which makes a mobile base a waste
of money, IMHO..
I bought a cheap set of "furniture mover" dollys from Harbor Freight, just 4
little plastic blocks with several wheels on them...
I just put a set next to each pair of legs on the lathe, stick a piece of 2x4"
under the stand and lever it up enough to kick the rollers in.. repeat on the
other end and you can roll the lathe out of the way... reverse process to put it
back and take it off the wheels..

For a reference to effort involved.. I'm 61, have a back problem and don't do
anything that might make it worse..

Works for me and cost about $10.. YMWV

mac

Mac,

Thanks for your suggestion of using the moving dollys. It makes a lot
of sense.

I'm still going to go with the leveling feet and casters. I have a
somewhat uneven cement floor and I really like the solid feel of using
the leveling feet instead of having to shim to stop any rocking that
may occur.

I have seen the "wheel corrosion problem" myself, therefore I like the
thought that the wheels will seldom be in contact with the floor. It
will also prevent the rubber wheel tires from getting a "set".

Bill