Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Nick is offline

Default Any locksmiths hereabouts? How to impress a padlock. Help please

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 22:55:50 +0100, "Nick"
wrote:

Hello.
I have an old Chubb 'Cruiser' padlock, probably about 30 years old.
Still available
http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/...b_Cruiser.html

Unfortunately the keys have been mislaid/lost and I would dearly like to
use
it again rather than bin it and buy anew. FWIW the padlock is unlocked.
I have spoken with Chubb (unhelpful) who directed me to a local
supplier/agent. The local agent was Very helpful but unable to assist. He
said that if I could find a good locksmith it might be possible to obtain
an
impression of the levers and thus produce a key.
This may perhaps not be worth the salt but I really detest chucking a
quality item away if it can possibly be retrieved.

I've made keys up for various locks using a suitable blank and some
black wax.
Simply heat the blank key blade and coat it with a thin layer of black
wax. Insert it gently and carefully into the lock then gently turn it
in the appropriate direction. It will stop, of course - at which point
you turn it back and carefully remove it.
You'll see a mark in the wax...cut or file it out. Recoat the blade
with wax and repeat.

It takes a while, and the impressions can sometimes be a bit of a
puzzle to figure out ( is it a slot, or a groove? ), but the job
satisfaction quota is brilliant.
If you succeed...get a spare cut straightaway!

Regards,

Many thanks,
good info which makes sense & I'm a patient soul
Regards
Nick.