Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards

On 2007-10-05 22:28:01 +0100, said:

guys, that's fantastic. I really was not expecting that sort of
response. I already have a good hitachi circular saw that i used to
cut large new oak sleepers for a huge landscaping project in the back
garden last year. I spent £200 + on that saw and it can go up to 90 cm
cutting depth.

It might be a bit hefty for finer panel work but would certainly need a
fine toothed blade.

A biscuit jointer sounds like alot of fun. I have seen
Norm from New yankee workshop use one. Whats the minimum thickness of
ply you could box with biscuits?

I thought they go a couple of centimeters deep or is there a really
narrow type of biscuit to use for that?

It depends on the machine.

There are three major sizes of biscuit, 0,10,20 and all machines can
cut slots for those. The more expensive machines are adjustable in
fine increments, the cheaper ones not. There are some additional
sizes such as FF (means face frame) and is a narrower biscuit and some
machines have other depth settings.

I've used biscuits with 9mm material, but the most common tend to be 12
and 18 or even greater.

I really dont like materials
with a
plastic-y veneer. I would like to stain lightly and see the character
of the wood.

I completely agree.

If you are going to use oak, then Danish oil is a good finish. It
doesn't come up too much above matt and is easily refinishable without
stripping. Easy to apply as well.

If i had the facilities to turn the oak sleepers into
accurately cut boards and worktops then it would be a really
economical source of timber. I had 40 of them delivered at about £17
each. Each 80kg of nice oak 1800mm x 225 x 125. Do any of you guys do
this?... cut into peices this would cost £25 thousand pounds at
homebase - never going back there again.

I do cut, plane, thickness and machine my own timber where possible,
but mainly to get specific sizes and pieces that are true and square.
It is necessary to be careful though - for example metal and other
embedded objects can take out a set of planer blades. At around £20 a
reversible set of 4, I don't want to do that too often.

Pete C, i am in the islington area of london so if anyone has a
reccomendation for top quality birch ply in my area that would be
great.

thanks for all the links, will keep me occupied for a while.