Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards

wrote:
Ok, so I am an inexperienced DIYer but at least im enthusiastic about
the possibilities.

I want to build a computer desk and some alcove shelving. I need
several sheets of plywood but i really dont have a bloody clue what im
talking about. I really think if the whole industry was more
accessible to dumbasses like me im sure it would be bigger. Second
problem, and a big one - the ply wont fit in my car, obviously, so a
delivery needs to be arranged but will anyone deliver a small quantity
of timber to me economically ?... i doubt it.

Your best bet is either Homebase or a B&Q Depot. Both stock 8 x 4 sheets of
18mm ply, B&Q are probably cheaper. Either will cut the 8 x 4 to whatever
sizes you need either free or cheap. In either store you can select the
sheet you want & take it to the cutting desk.

That way you don't have to cut it & it will fit your car. Do take care that
they cut it accurately however - one of the numptys in my local B&Q Depot
was obviously trained by Stevie Wonder.

Battens in 2 x 1 will be fine. On a solid wall use these hammer fixers
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/516057

You can drill the timber batten & then through into the wall in one go. Use
a drill bit like this

The fixings & drill bit are both available from B&Q or Homebase.

Timber/builders merchants are still stuck in a "got any O's" time warp IMO.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman