Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mgnlloyd@orange.net is offline

Default Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards

guys, that's fantastic. I really was not expecting that sort of
response. I already have a good hitachi circular saw that i used to
cut large new oak sleepers for a huge landscaping project in the back
garden last year. I spent £200 + on that saw and it can go up to 90 cm
cutting depth. A biscuit jointer sounds like alot of fun. I have seen
Norm from New yankee workshop use one. Whats the minimum thickness of
ply you could box with biscuits?

I thought they go a couple of centimeters deep or is there a really
narrow type of biscuit to use for that? I really dont like materials
with a
plastic-y veneer. I would like to stain lightly and see the character
of the wood. If i had the facilities to turn the oak sleepers into
accurately cut boards and worktops then it would be a really
economical source of timber. I had 40 of them delivered at about £17
each. Each 80kg of nice oak 1800mm x 225 x 125. Do any of you guys do
this?... cut into peices this would cost £25 thousand pounds at
homebase - never going back there again.

Pete C, i am in the islington area of london so if anyone has a
reccomendation for top quality birch ply in my area that would be
great.

thanks for all the links, will keep me occupied for a while.