BigWallop

Default Playing with meter tails

"Sparks" wrote in message ...
I go with pulling the fuse and then having it sealed again. Job's done.

So do you think I just do it, and plead ignorance if the missing/broken

seal
is spotted
or do I call the electricity company and ask them (slightly harder to
subsequently plead ignorance after that!)

Another thing, is we had the meter changed about a year ago, so all the
seals are new :-/

The thing that's getting me though, is the fact that your tapping in to

the
mains tails. Why ? Can't you take the bridge from the BUS bar side of

the
mains switch in the CU ? Doing it this way gives you at least some sort

of
isolation if you have to carry out any maintenance on the new system.

In my CU, the meter tails go directly into the main breaker, (there is no
simple switch) and then two wire connect from this same point to the other
lighting breaker.

On the other side of both breakers, there is a copper bar that feeds all

the
mcb's for both circuits - this way, if the main power breaker trips, we

are
not left in the dark
Probably standard practice, but as I have never looked inside another

split
load box before, I can't comment!

I want my generator connected before both of these breakers, and to both
circuits (so we can use the lights, and the sockets!)

I was actually going to purchase a 100A isolator, and connect the meter
tails to this, then on to the transfer switch, for the reason you suggest
;-)
...and possible upgrade to an automatic system later.

Apparently some people have an electricity board provided isolator between
their meter, and their CU - I am not that lucky :-s

Sparks...

Woa up there horsey !!! A generator doesn't have neutral potential on it.
Both connections become live feeds and if it is to take over supplying the
house in the event of a power cut, then you'll need to upgrade the earthing
and take only a single phase from the genny, to feed the house.

It works by making the grounding spike in to your neutral potential. Very
dangerous if not done properly. Not to mention the fact that, if the mains
supply then comes back on while the genny is running, then it could blow
every fuse you have in the house and may even trip out at the local sub
station if it is a large capacity generator.

I originally thought that you had automatic change over, to bring the genny
online when the mains failed. But you say "possible upgrade to an automatic
system later". That's a big NO NO !!!!!

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com