Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lot's of painting needed. Get a "machine?"

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message

Prep is what takes time when I paint - applying the paint is not a big
deal.

Yep. I get the feeling the OP has never painted before.

This past summer, my son got all enthusiastic when a neighbor offered to
pay
him to do some interior painting. Since he knew nothing about it, I told
him
he had to paint his own room perfectly, for the educational experience
(and
so I didn't have to do it). Halfway through cleaning around windows and
taping and removing hardware, he was horrified. More so when he realized
that the fun part (rolling) took 1/10th the time that the prep work took.

Of course, it's always possible to do an amateurish job, and get paint
all
over door hinges, light switches, etc., which will make the next owner
want
to hunt you down and cut your guts out with a machete. :-)

Saw a house for sale here a few years ago -- the inside had been
completely repainted. I'm not making this up: the refrigerator sat in an
alcove. The inside of the alcove had not been repainted, but the front
of the refrigerator had been.

There are professionals everywhere! A few years back, I went to an apartment
I was about to move into, to see what progress was being made with the
painting, new carpet, etc. The professional painter was there, spraying the
bedroom & bathroom doors with some sort of bargain basement high gloss crap.
It was winter, and he hadn't bothered to turn on the heat. It was 40 degrees
in the place. Of course, the paint never cured correctly, so the doors
always stuck shut so badly that at one point, after a shower (with fan on),
I could get out of the bathroom. I had to take the door off the hinges. I
went straight to the office and explained that this was a potential safety
issue if the place was on fire, and that the next rent check was closely
connected with my getting all new doors, unpainted. They whined, I said
"fire inspector", they caved.