Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Lot's of painting needed. Get a "machine?"

John Gilmer wrote:

We have a TH that "needs" painting in every room. We have just completed
the kitchen but there are another 5 rooms plus hall ways plus stair well
plus 1-1/2 baths.

Moreover, we will put "stick on" vinyl tile over under layment. The "stick
on" instructions recommend painting the floor with latex primer.

That's a LOT of painting.

It's starting to make sense to look into getting some seriour "Professional"
equipment.

Have any of you gone this route?

In particular, I was looking at the "pump sprayers" that can (if run "flat
out" put a gallon of paint on the walls/ceiling/whatever every few minutes.

Has anyone else here gone that way?

What "features" should I look for? What's the minimum about of painting
that can justify the clean up of the equipment. In the past I have gotten
some of that "Weaver" junk but I found that it just don't completely clean
up.

What about maskink, etc? What are the "over spray" issues.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what a "TH" is, but .....townhouse?

First, I think stick on tile is crap and have never seen an appl. that
looked decent and did not come loose.

We used a power roller to paint a neighbor's condo; also crap - it was a
lot more work to clean up the p.r. than ordinary roller. A pump sprayer
for paint? Never heard of such a thing. If the home is not occupied,
it should be far easier to paint. Prep is what takes time when I paint
- applying the paint is not a big deal. If the place is ready to go,
you might get as good a price from a contractor as for spending the
money on equipment to DIY.