Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Noon-Air Noon-Air is offline

Default bulges and "hot spots" inside 20 year old furnace...do I really need new one?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
I'm sure they love the idea of selling me a new furnace even if it
isn't really necessary at this time.

Wondering if other metal inside the furnace were to crack and it
weren't the heat exchanger cracking per se....would that require
furnace replacement?

The notion of a cracked heat exchanger being a hazard involves the leaking
of CO into the living space.

Be aware that, for thousands of years, humans heated their dwellings
without benefit of heat exchangers; some still do today.

I grew up in a home with natural gas heaters in every room. The only
problem it ever caused me is the inability to tie my shoes. In all
fairness, lately I have noticed a difficulty in using complicated
mechanical devices (such as a spoon).

Nevertheless, a CO detector (or a canary) is far, far cheaper than a new
furnace.

Furnaces are only built to last for 18 - 20 years. The new models use a
fraction of the energy to run them. You can keep funneling money into
repairs, and giving your money to the utility company if you want. Its been
my personal experience that when I install a new comfort system in a
customers home, there utility bills drop on the average of 60%, and the new
system is so quiet, they are not even aware that its running.
Its your choice....Keeping the old furnace will cost you more in the long
run, and you'll *STILL* have to replace it...... its not a matter of *IF*,
its a matter of *WHEN*