Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Lathe mobile base

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:54:36 -0700, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

On Oct 3, 11:20 pm, Lee Tollett wrote:
Hi everyone I have ordered a Jet 1446 wood lathe with the cast iron
legs. Does anyone know what the foot print size is? so that I can get
a mobile base that fits. I would like one that has a three point base
sense my shop floor is not all that level.

Thanks.... Lee

Lee,

You've had some replies so far that recommend you go to a Jet mobile
base. I'm not familar with the Jet, but I too am looking to put a
lathe on wheels and I plan to take a different approach. I have a
Rockwell 46-111 lathe (14[11] x 48) that I will build a stand for and
add the ability to move it around. Because I plan to add bags of
sand, wheeels are a must. I alos only plan to move the lathe for
cleaning or outboard turning, however my shop is small thus the need
for all castors to swivel.

Bill... If you only need to move the lathe for cleaning, etc., I'd say skip the
mobile base..

I have the jet 1442VS with the cast iron legs and it's fairly heavy.
I might move it around every 2 months or so, which makes a mobile base a waste
of money, IMHO..
I bought a cheap set of "furniture mover" dollys from Harbor Freight, just 4
little plastic blocks with several wheels on them...
I just put a set next to each pair of legs on the lathe, stick a piece of 2x4"
under the stand and lever it up enough to kick the rollers in.. repeat on the
other end and you can roll the lathe out of the way... reverse process to put it
back and take it off the wheels..

For a reference to effort involved.. I'm 61, have a back problem and don't do
anything that might make it worse..

Works for me and cost about $10.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing