Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Tapping Question - Not Directly Related to Metal.

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:51:24 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote: (clip) the grinding creates hot spots, the thermal
stress cracks
the glass. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This correct, but generally the piece doesn't crack apart. Little chiops
keep flaking off, so you never wind up with a smooth surface. Often flakes
come off ahead of the cut, spoiling the part you intended to keep. You can
actuaslly see "fire" if you do it dry. DAMHIKT.

I want, at some point fairly soon, to make a total internal reflection type
level gauge. I was considering taking very light cuts with lots of coolant on
the surface grinder. I had assumed a silicon carbide wheel would give better
results, but haven't properly researched it yet.

Mark Rand
RTFM