Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve[_4_] Steve[_4_] is offline

Default Permissible cable run quandry?

As part of the lounge rebuild I am doing, I have run into a problem with
concealed wires with no accessories to indicate that a cable run could
be going up the wall.

This is behind a radiator that is going to be removed permanently and
this freed-up area will become our TV/HiFi area so there will obviously
need to be extra sockets fitted.

The trouble, or maybe my confusion, arises because the lounge part of
the ring has both cables running next to each other from other rooms
buried in the plaster.

I can extract the cables and connect them to sockets (one for each side
of ring and then continue around lounge) and thus extend the ring easily
enough although, obviously, neither of the sockets would then be
directly under the fitting as both cables would then have to enter
through the side of their box.

I am happy to have both sockets adjacent with just enough room, say
50mm, for the vertical cables to enter them from the sides and then to
continue with normal horizontal and vertical runs from there?

Is this vertical 'zone' above the gap between two closely spaced boxes
acceptable?

I have tried to look this up, but all I seem to get is about bathroom
zoning!

Thanks

Steve