Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] manatbandq@hotmail.com is offline

Default garage doors repairs and replacement

On Oct 5, 11:57 am, nospam wrote:
Hello,

Our garage door broke again today. It's a metal one you lift to open.
One of the cables got tangled so it would not shut.

This happened on the other side some months ago. The repairman did
show me what to do in case it ever happened agin, but I forgot

Am I right to think you remove the track the roller runs along and
then remove the roller, thus freeing the cable. then get one person in
each corner and lower the door and then refit everything in reverse
order?

What's the life expectancy of a garage door? The people we bought the
house from left us all the instructions and receipts, so we know this
is ten years old. Is it time to get a new one?

If so, how easy is it to get one from Wickes and fit it yourself, or
should I call in a professional?

Thanks.

Be very careful not to release the tension in the spring.

My door is 30+ years old and spares are still available from
http://www.pchenderson.com/ If it's a compatible brand then they have
all the spares and tools you need. Compare the cost against calling
your man out again. You can 'phone then for advice.

MBQ