Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin Bob Martin is offline

Default Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards

in 671305 20071005 024321 wrote:
Ok, so I am an inexperienced DIYer but at least im enthusiastic about
the possibilities.

I want to build a computer desk and some alcove shelving. I need
several sheets of plywood but i really dont have a bloody clue what im
talking about. I really think if the whole industry was more
accessible to dumbasses like me im sure it would be bigger. Second
problem, and a big one - the ply wont fit in my car, obviously, so a
delivery needs to be arranged but will anyone deliver a small quantity
of timber to me economically ?... i doubt it.

I need some 18mm ply thats furniture grade for the desk and
shelves( 3-4 sheets) and maybe some 1 inch by 2 inch battons for the
shelving design i found online. It would be great if it was possible
to buy this stuff online but i can only find
www.buildercenter.co.uk
and have heard they are expensive.

I have a list of timber merchants near me from yell.com

Is it a good idea to ring a few of these and bumble my way through a
quote request?.. what kind of ply is best for me and what's a good
price?

Thanks for any help.

My local timber yard (Goodwillie's of Waterlooville) cuts sheets of plywood
to my spec while I wait. I'm sure most of them will.